Wednesday 5 March 2014

Choreographic Theme




Choreographic Theme Ideas


Identity


At first I wasn’t sure on what to do for the dance piece as I had loads of ideas but then I tried to think of simple things that I thought would portray my theme idea effectively without making things complicated. When I narrowed them down I thought of these four theme ideas.


FIRST THEME IDEA
I wanted to do a fuse of contemporary and urban dance whether my dance piece was abstract, purely movement based, lyrical or conveying just plain emotions. Then I thought of the presentation of the stimulus’s then I improvised and then I refined some of the movements when I received peer feedback and then I developed a phrase of movement that communicated the daddy’s little girl theme rather well.
The first theme idea I supposed would be nice for me do was Love. Then I thought of how to choreographies an idea like that, then I pictured my dance in stages. As in I believed of showing the stages of a relationship: first stranger’s then friendship then interest – then development of interest- then heart-break then back to strangers again.


SECOND THEME IDEA


The second theme Idea I had was to use the lyrics “I was here by BeyoncĂ©” as a stimulus, instead of focusing more on the rhythm and the quality of the song. In life I believe my soul purpose to use the talent I was given to help others less fortunate than myself out. This song relates to the idea I have as it talks a lot about things I dream of achieving such “ The hearts I have touched, will be the proof that I lived that I made a difference, and this world will see I was here. “


THIRD THEME IDEA
Lyrical dance piece Leonard Cohen by Hallelujah

Maybe there’s a God above
But all I’ve ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It’s not a cry you can hear at night
It’s not somebody who has seen the light
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well, really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Initially, I wanted to dance to Leonard Cohen’s version of Hallelujah. But, since the song means a lot to me I thought I should do a lyrical piece that I could emotionally connect to as well as tell a story using my body language and just words. No rhythm. No Instrumental.


FINAL THEME IDEA


Frankie J’s- Daddy’s Little Girl


The reason to why I chose the daddy’s little girl theme in the end was because it was the piece I felt the most vulnerable in so I understood the emotional connection the piece needed in order for me to do the piece justice.  Initially, I wanted to use an image of my father as my stimulus but I personally thought the picture above is more interpretable powerful rather than an image of my just father with no explain just a man. This song has so many meanings but the one I went with was a relationship and a close bond between a father and a daughter. Although, Initially Frankie J sings about a little girl trying to get her father to stay at home as she loves him. Eventually, the girl was sad because her father was ill and her dad only told her mother, which made the mother upset after the illness got worse. As a result the doctors cannot do anything to help the little girl’s father. 
The choreographic devices that were used in my piece was firstly: Action, the main actions I used was repetition, instrumentation and jumps. The space choreographic device I used was different levels, shape/body design and two different pathways, one in the air (standing up) and the other on the floor. To conclude the dynamics I used were diverse, especially the speed, at times the piece was faster it then would change. The quality in the piece was varied. Some of my movements were more forced, stronger and more direct others were more fluid and softer.



This image symbolises my motif in my daddy’s little girl choreographic piece. I developed this motif by: firstly using some actions such as instrumentation, repetition and Fragmentation.  As for space, I changed the size of my movements frequently from small then big. I used different levels in the piece; the images above are some of the movements I had done in the piece. In contrast to this, I performed my piece using direction. I normally would face the front as a substitute I performed to the sides to show the fact my dance was about my mother, my father and I. Then and there I turned to show how I was feeling internally. The quality in the piece often changed for at times the beat in the music would change and the emotion I felt would then be portrayed to the rhythm of the music, tempo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment